Great discoveries start here
Advice on Goods Movement References
There are some common user errors occurring when customers are creating Goods Movement References (GMRs) into the Goods Vehicle Movement Service (GVMS). HMRC has shared the following advice on GMRs:
If you’re moving goods through border locations that use GVMS, make sure that you:
- Get a GMR for all movements, including empties.
- Do not use the trailer references when entering your Vehicle Registration Number (VRN) into the GMR for an accompanied movement, as this means the carrier will be unable to validate your GMR. The VRN must match the vehicle presenting the GMR.
- Do not add EU export Movement Reference Numbers (MRN) numbers into the GMR.
- Ensure that you are entering the correct type of declaration reference which is relevant for your movement. For exports via CHIEF or CDS this is the DUCR, for imports via CDS this is the MRN and for imports via CHIEF this is the ERN. For full details around which declaration types should be entered in a GMR refer to Get a goods movement reference on GOV.UK .
- Declarants – Ensure that RRS01 is included on your import or export declaration if your goods are being moved via a GVMS border location, otherwise the GMR will be invalid and your goods will be delayed.